Barbecue sauce represents a bit of a challenge when it stains your clothing. If allowed to dry, it can be almost impossible to get out. Therefore, when your summer barbecue leaves an impression on your clothes, don’t waste any time to follow these simple laundering steps:
- Scrape away as much of the sauce as you can with a dull knife or a spoon. This will keep the sauce from spreading further during the coming steps.
- Allow cold water to run through the back of the stain for several minutes, forcing the sauce out the way it came. Avoid using hot water, as this can set the stain.
- Rub liquid laundry detergent into the stained area,23 working it gently with your fingers. Once it is soaked through, allow it to sit for ten minutes and then rinse it out thoroughly with room temperature water.
- If you can safely use bleach on the fabric, apply a mild bleach to the area with a sponge. Rinse well.
- Repeat steps three and four until you see no more sign of the stain. If you no longer see any progress, but the stain remains, rub in liquid laundry detergent and soak it in warm water for thirty minutes and rinse. Wash the clothing as normal, making sure that the barbecue sauce is completely gone before drying it.
If you get barbecue sauce on a garment that cannot be safely washed using these steps, bring it down to Bellevue Dry Cleaning to have it removed safely and effectively.